What is Human Trafficking?
Human Trafficking is a form of modern slavery that occurs in every state, including Indiana. Safe Place will work with other local and state providers to ensure that survivors of human trafficking have access to every avaliable resource necessary to meet their unique needs.
There are two types of human trafficking: 1) Sex Trafficking: when a person used in commercial sex is under the age of 18; or, a person is used in commercial sex through the use of force, fraud, or coercion. 2) Labor Trafficking: when a person is recruited to work or provide services through the use of force, fraud, or coercion.
National Human Trafficking Hotline: 1-888-373-7888 SMS Text: HELP to BeFree (233733)
What are some red flags?
- Common work and living conditions
- Is not free to leave or come and go as he/she wishes
- Is under 18 years of age and is providing commercial sex acts
- Is in the commercial sex industry and has a pimp/manager
- Works excessively long and/or unusual hours
- Is not allowed breaks or suffers under unusual restrictions at work
- Owes a large and/or increasing debt and is unable to pay it off
- Poor mental health or abnormal behavior
- Avoids eye contact
- Reacts with unusually fearful or anxious behavior at any reference to “law enforcement,” and/or no emotion at all (flat affect)
- Exhibits unusually fearful, anxious, depressed, submissive, tense, or nervous/paranoid behavior
- Poor physical health
- Exhibits unexplained injuries or signs of prolonged/untreated illness or disease
- Appears malnourished
- Shows signs of physical and/or sexual abuse, physical restraint, confinement, or torture
- Lack of control
- Has few or no personal possessions
- Is not in control of his/her own money and/or has no financial records or bank account
- Is not allowed or able to speak for him/herself (e.g., a third party may insist on being present and/or interpreting)
- Has been “branded” by a trafficker (e.g. a tattoo of the trafficker’s name/symbol)
- Has numerous inconsistencies in his/her story and/or has a scripted response
- Exhibits a lack of knowledge of whereabouts and/or does not know what city he/she is in
- Exhibits a loss of a sense of time